One of my favorite comfort foods is mac and cheese, and I like it most when the traditional recipe is taken to an entirely new level. When I came across this recipe, it seemed easy enough to make and too hard to pass up.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, olive oil, and salt; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook for about 8 minutes. (Should be a bit firm.) Remove from heat, drain, and return to pan.
- Stir in butter and egg until pasta is evenly coated. Reserve 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese and stir the remaining Cheddar, milk, and Mozzarella into the pasta.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the reserved cheese and the bread crumb mixture over the tops.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned. Allow the cups to cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.